Vivid Dawn's random ramblings

Fortnight update

on April 19, 2012

So, here’s my huge update for the past couple weeks. I am currently sitting at the laundromat waiting for dog beds to dry.
I was supposed to work today, but they had an extra person come in, and there really wasn’t anything for me to do. So I did the cat center laundry today, instead of Monday as I planned (good, then I can take them down tonight and let the kitties have nice clean beds they can puke on after five minutes of being used! LOL)

3/31 Saturday
Today started out like any normal Saturday. I got up at 8 a.m. to do my morning chores and leave the house to be at the cat center by 10.
Most volunteers do only the basic chores at the cat center, which is scooping litter boxes, and making sure the food and water bowls are filled. We’re supposed to mop the floors once a week, clean out all the snuggle boxes once a week, and empty out the litter boxes to wash/scrub them once a week. Well, the floor was getting pretty nasty, as well as some of the cats have started pooping in the snuggle boxes. So I decided I was going to try to catch up on as much of the stuff as possible. Cleaned out the snuggle boxes, then got to work with the mopping. I did have one other person helping me, but doing over 500 square feet of cement floor with a sponge mop is a little too much all at once. In fact, we didn’t even really get done, and quit after only doing 3/4 of it. I also had to quit because it was time to pack up cats and drive them 20 miles to Petco for adoptions.
I got to Petco, got the cats all settled in their cages, and sat down to talk to my supervisor about a party we were planning for all the volunteers. My heart started ‘jumping’, so I figured I would go home and take a nap for a couple hours.
Got home about 4:30, checked email and went to bed. At 6 my alarm rang, but I pushed snooze figuring I’d only lay there a little while. Well, I slept through snooze and when I looked at the clock it was 6:23! I was supposed to be at Petco at 6:30. So I get my shoes on and dash out the door. When I got to my car, I felt a little woozy, but figured it was because I had just gotten up from a nap (and I had not eaten much more than a hamburger for lunch…no breakfast, and no dinner yet).
By the time I got a mile or so down the road, my heart was pounding and beating crazy, I felt really light-headed and was having difficulty concentrating on driving (or anything, really!).
I went through a traffic light, which luckily was green, but realized I hadn’t paid any attention to it. A couple blocks away from Petco, I pulled over, because I seriously thought I was going to pass out at that point. I didn’t dare drive even the last couple blocks, and risk crashing (either into somebody else, or even just a fence or light pole).
I texted my supervisor: Dn’t feelgood…pulled over…vallining help… (which of course was supposed to be: Don’t feel good…pulled over…calling help) with shaky hands and a ‘fuzzy’ head. Then I called 911, and had them come get me and take me to the hospital 2 miles away. (which, by the way, cost $1,280!)
One of the other volunteers “had” to drive cats for me, obviously (I usually do it, since nobody else wants to “waste” time or gas for it).
By the time I got to the hospital, my heart had calmed down and was out of A-fib by then. I was back home by 9:30.

4/11 Wednesday
I got a job! It’s part time office work and monitoring urine sample testing. My boss and one co-worker think I’m a little strange, since I love to do the tedious things like filing, organizing paperwork, filling out paperwork, and the usual “boring” stuff. But since I’m a shy introvert, I would much rather be in the back office than dealing with people. I -can- deal with people, just don’t like to most of the time.
Oh, and sometimes there’s kids that we have to do hair tests on. I like kids even less than I do adults, but it won’t be very often, and it’s just cutting a small hair sample… though with my luck I just know I’ll get the fussy ones!

4/13 Friday
First day on the job. Wednesday was just an interview and to meet the owner of the place. Today I got to file papers and fill out some of my employment documents. I was only there about 5 hours, but that’s enough for the first day.

4/15 Sunday
Today at the cat center, we did a huge project! A vet and assistant came to clean out ears and give medicine for ear mites. And so that it wasn’t a pointless treatment, 7 volunteers spent 7 hours cleaning and sanitizing the whole place! Though it really needed it anyway, ear mite extermination or not.
We got ALL the snuggle boxes scrubbed out, all the floors mopped and scrubbed, all the laundry done and caught up (well, I took the really big dog beds to the laundromat to use their huge washers).
Now the only thing that needs to be done is the office organized. It looks like a tornado hit in there. I keep meaning to do it every time I go to the cat center, but get involved in other stuff (such as syringe feeding a sick cat, that takes 20 minutes or so).


2 responses to “Fortnight update

  1. WritingNerdy says:

    “I -can- deal with people, just don’t like to most of the time.”

    AMEN! I can completely relate to that.

    I also enjoy tedious tasks. I think it’s the OCD in me, but give me papers to file or whatever to organize, and I’m a happy camper.

    Do you like working at PetCo? I thought about getting a job there at one point.

    I had the opportunity to do some volunteer work with kitties like you’re doing, but they used bleach to clean out the cages and a single whiff of that will give me a three-day long migraine. :C It made me sad because I wanted to take care of kitties. I guess the nine (ten? Hmm, there is Clover, Bubbles, Frannie, Purrci, Cooper, Callie, Sylvie, Valentine and Ender… so I guess nine!) kitties at my house will have to do. :3 –> kitty ears

  2. vividdawn says:

    I am not employed by Petco. That’s just the place we have our pet adoptions every Saturday… we “rent” the space to put our cages for 7 hours. The rent is free for us, but it brings them more profit as more people come in to see the animals and (in theory) end up buying more stuff (especially if they adopt, and have to get a bunch of stuff for the new pet!)

    We do use bleach on the cages at Petco before we fold them up and put them away, only because we have cats and dogs in foster homes, and don’t know what they’ve been exposed to. At the shelter, we usually use Parv-O-Way to clean stuff with. You don’t need as much ventilation with that.
    On a side note, every time I spray cat urine with Parv-O-Way, I smell onions… and I’m supposedly the only one with that reaction! LOL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: